I am a PhD student at Bosch Corporate Research and the Saarbrücken Graduate School of Computer Science. My academic advisor is Björn Brandenburg at the Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (MPI-SWS). At Bosch, I closely work with Arne Hamann, Dirk Ziegenbein and Ralph Lange.
I studied computer science at Saarland University with a minor in mathematics from 2011 to 2016. In 2016, I completed my master's degree on on static worst-case execution time analysis under the supervision of Jan Reineke. I then left academia to gain some industry work experience as an embedded software developer at Rohde & Schwarz. Since October 2018, I have returned to research to pursue a PhD.
My research focuses on the practical application of real-time theory in highly dynamic systems, in particular mobile robots using ROS 2. These systems are characterized by strongly varying execution times, unpredictable environments, complex software stacks, and extensive reuse of preexisting standard components. Traditional real-time techniques like ahead-of-time schedulability analysis are therefore difficult to apply and require prohibitive effort.
To address this problem, I am currently working on mechanisms for developing latency-sensitive and (soft) real-time applications that are easy to use, can adapt to changing situations, and support compositional software construction.
- D. Casini, T. Blass, I. Lütkebohle, and B. Brandenburg, “Response-Time Analysis of ROS 2 Processing Chains under Reservation-Based Scheduling”, Proceedings of the 31st Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS 2019), July 2019.
T. Blass, S. Hahn, and J. Reineke, "Write-back Caches in WCET Analysis", Proceedings of the 29th Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems (ECRTS 2017), July 2017.
Outstanding Paper Award
- Master's Thesis: Array-aware Cache Analysis for Write-through and Write-back Caches, December 2016.
- Bachelor's Thesis: AutoPCP: Exploring Automatic Lock Ceilings in PREEMPT_RT, March 2015.
TeachingI have been a student TA for the following lectures
- Programming 1 (2012)
- System Architecture (2013, 2016)
- Theoretical Computer Science (2013)
Zentrum für Forschung und Vorausentwicklung